TRJ Virtual Mini-Camp: Community, Connections, and Celebrating Black Excellence
Fri, July 30- Sun, Aug 1*
* For 1st time attendees, there is also a virtual New Family Orientation on Thursday Jul 29th
On behalf of April Dinwoodie, TRJ’s Executive Director, and the Board of Directors, TRJ is pleased to announce our virtual Family Camp 2021 – Consciousness, Commitment, and Community. The decision to stay with virtual only for another year was made with much thought and out of an abundance of care and concern for the safety and health of all of our families.
The 2021 TRJ Virtual Camp July 29- Aug 1 (Fri-Sun) via Zoom. While our format has shifted from in-person to virtual we are no less committed to creating making meaning and magic during our time together. We proved it last year having a successful inaugural-virtual conference on short notice!
Here is what you can expect on a basic level with more information to come as we get closer to camp:
Thursday July 29th New Family Orientation
Friday July 30th Camp Kick-off
- Welcome April/TRJ Board/Counselors
- Family “show and tell” – families sharing their favorite book, show, song, poem, etc, that features a Black artist, honors Black history, and/or is a good tool for learning about and navigating racism. Specific instructions for sharing will be provided prior to kick-off.
- Camp sing-along /Story Telling
Saturday, July 31th Family Sessions
Family Sessions will be led by TRJ Counselors and focused on engaging campers and parents together with activities that focus on Black excellence, history, and culture. We realize some of the young people may not be inspired by the idea of getting together virtually so we are keeping the sessions short and engaging. We will also be limiting the sessions to 25 children/teen campers per group to keep things manageable.
- 10:00am-11:00am Teen Panel
- 11:30-12:30 Pre-school, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd 3rd
- 1:30-2:30 Grades 4th, 5th , 6th
- 2:30-3:30pm Grades 7th, 8th, 9th
Sunday, August 1st Parent (only) Sessions
Aug 1st will be open to all registered parents offering presentations with practical tools/tips and Q&A/discussion
- 9:30am-11:30am A year of Consciousness, Commitment, Community
- Lunchtime small group conversations
- 1:30pm-3:00pm A Conversation about Trauma and Transracial Adoption
Sunday Camp Closing 4:00-5:30
A time for community, connection, and fun. Last year’s closing had an amazing surprise….!
· $450 per family for all camp activities
Registration closes Thursday July 29th at 12-midnight and all registered families will receive the necessary Zoom links and passwords no later than Friday July 30th at 12:00 p.m. (Noon).
We look forward to seeing you!
Note: All times above are Eastern Standard Time zone