TRJ Virtual Mini-Camp: Community, Connections, and Celebrating Black Excellence
July 31- Aug 2 (Fri-Sun)
While we are sad that Covid-19 has made it impossible to be together in person, we are thrilled to offer Transracial Journeys Virtual Mini-Camp. We hope this version of camp will be an engaging, fun, and meaningful experience for all.
Here is what you can expect with more information to come as we get closer to camp.
Camp Kick-off for all Registered Families: Friday, July 31st 7:00pm-8:30pm
· Welcome April/TRJ Board/Counselors
· Family “show and tell” – families sharing their favorite book, show, song, poem, etc, that features a Black artist, honors Black history, and/or is a good tool for learning about and navigating racism. Specific instructions for sharing will be provided prior to kick-off.
Saturday, August 1 sessions will be led by TRJ Counselors and focused on engaging campers and parents together with activities that focus on Black excellence, history, and culture. We realize some of the young people may not be inspired by the idea of getting together virtually so we are keeping the sessions short and engaging. We will also be limiting the sessions to 20 children/teen campers per group to keep things manageable and we ask that a parent and/or grown-up be present to participate in the session along with the campers. More details for the sessions we will be shared in the coming weeks.
· 10:00am-11:00am Pre-school, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd 3rd
· 11:30am-12:30pm Grades 4th, 5th , 6th
· 1:30pm-2:30pm Grades 7th, 8th, 9th
Sunday Parent (only) Sessions
Will be open to all registered parents offering presentations with practical tools/tips and Q&A/discussion
· 10:00am-11:30am Adoption, Racial Identity, and Family throughout the year – April Dinwoodie
· 12:00pm-1:30pm Trauma and Transracial Adoption – Bryan Post
· 2:30pm-4:00pm Advocacy and Education – Cami Anderson
Sunday Camp Closing 4:30-5:30 time for community, connection, and fun.
· $350 per family for all camp activities
· $300 for three parent sessions only
Registration closes Thursday July 30th at 12-midnight and all registered families will receive the necessary Zoom links and passwords no later than Friday July 31st at 12:00noon.